bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/21/18 07:29 PM
226/1000 Mild Restoration Build

First off, my name is Robert. I have been a fan of the GVR4 since I was a kid.
I have owned 226/1000 for a few years now, working on it from time to time when I am not working on my other projects. The car has been sitting for awhile because it developed a coolant leak and the Original Owner parked it. The car is a One Owner.

Things I have done so far:

Replaced pretty much the whole cooling system and freeze plugs
Rebuilt injectors and cleaned fuel system
Installed new intake and throttle body gaskets
Some cleaning and detailing

So the plan is/was to go through the car and "fix whats broken" (there's not much broken) and resale it. So as you can see from the Pictures I have started tearing down the car to rebuild the brakes and front end. Also going to get the AC working too. Just basic stuff.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/21/18 07:33 PM
Re: 226/1000 Restoration for Resale Build

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/22/18 03:12 PM

Oem Parts I have been collecting and some that the previous owner had stored in the trunk. I try to use oem parts when they are available.

bobdole
(Old member with new to me VR4 and starting over. Respect your elders kids)
03/22/18 05:41 PM

Thanks for sharing. Looks good

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/26/18 08:08 PM

Still waiting on a lot of parts. Got the suspension painted and the wheel wells undercoated. Also disassembled the brake calibers and painted them.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/27/18 07:54 PM

So today I vacuumed down the AC system to check for leaks and it looks like there is a small leak from the valve on the compressor. I have complete O ring kit for the AC system I will tear apart the system and clean it, replace the dryer and oil it. I also did some more detailing in the engine bay.

Keeping with the " If it Ain't broke don't fix it" plan. I checked the rack and pinion for leaks and did not see any so I installed the tie rods and put new bellows on it. The original owner took very good care of this car.

I also replaced the outer cover on the driver side CV axle.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
03/31/18 03:37 PM

Been busy with other things but I got the brakes rebuilt and disassembled the struts and springs. The struts were definitely blown, as you can tell from the picture. I also dropped the gas tank.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/10/18 01:07 PM

So I decided to pull the head to take a look inside to see if the head needed to be rebuilt. To my surprise it looks like the head had been recently rebuilt. They also used stainless steal valves which are nice. Looks like a local speed shop named F.I.S.T Racing Rebuilt the head since they in craved there name on it.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/11/18 06:14 PM

Got the head cleaned and put back together. I also put a new exhaust manifold on it because the other one was cracked. And I order some 3G Revised Lifters.

While the head was off I cleaned all the AC lines and installed new O rings. I also installed a New AC Compressor. Looks like it would have been a bitch to do with intake in the way.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/13/18 12:38 PM

While I wait for the lifters to come in the mail, I started putting the rear suspension and brakes back together.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/13/18 03:39 PM
Re: 226/1000 Mild Restoration Build

Got the front and rear struts assembled with new bushings and bearings. I used all KYB Excel-G Factory Spec Struts.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/15/18 09:39 PM

Got the 3G lifters installed and the timing belt on. I also installed a new timing cover and bolts.

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
05/16/18 12:06 PM

Factory black timing cover? Nice!

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/16/18 06:10 PM

Yep, factory black timing cover. You really have to do some digging to find factory parts for this car.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/16/18 06:23 PM

Been putting around and got all the engine pretty much put back together. I have the New front suspension together but not torqued down yet. I also starting fitting the new Head Unit. Looks like I am going to have to put a trim ring around it.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/16/18 06:45 PM

More pics of the front suspension

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/17/18 09:10 PM

Front suspension all torqued down and brakes installed.

bobdole
05/20/18 07:47 AM

Looks real good. Thanks for sharing the progress.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
05/28/18 06:43 PM

So I am starting to see the finish line on this project and pretty excited to drive it.
Today, I replaced the expansion valve on the evaporator and vacuumed down the AC system and checked for leaks. I also installed a aftermarket EVO 3 aluminum radiator, OEM hoses and a Spal Fan. I wanted to upgraded the cooling system because of this SE Texas Heat!

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/01/18 05:41 PM

Finally got it on the ground and took it for a test drive. Runs Great and the AC blows nice and cold. Just got a few more things to do before she goes up for sale.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
06/03/18 01:36 AM

What all did you do to the A/C to get it working? What were the issues prior?

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/03/18 12:23 PM

Since this is a older car and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 9 years. I cleaned all the AC lines, condenser and evaporator. I also checked the condenser and evaporator for leaks. Replaced all the O rings. Installed a rebuilt AC compressor and new Drier and expansion valve. The expansion valves are pretty much always dirty and clogged on old cars (the expansion valve on this Galant was clogged). Vacuumed down the system and checked for leaks. I check for leaks by letting it sit over night under vacuum and see if the pressure holds.

The AC system on these Galant's are really simple and easy to work on. Even the evaporator was pretty easy to get out. I can say that this car is very well engineered, I would compare its design with the 80s model Mercedes. Over built and designed to be easily repaired.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/03/18 01:02 PM

I have driven the car about 200 miles now and I always like to go back and re torque the head studs.(the oil on the valve cover is when I spilt some when topping her off) I also installed the new the hood heat shield.

bobdole
06/03/18 03:04 PM

Quoting bobbybdemented:

Since this is a older car and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 9 years. I cleaned all the AC lines, condenser and evaporator. I also checked the condenser and evaporator for leaks. Replaced all the O rings. Installed a rebuilt AC compressor and new Drier and expansion valve. The expansion valves are pretty much always dirty and clogged on old cars (the expansion valve on this Galant was clogged). Vacuumed down the system and checked for leaks. I check for leaks by letting it sit over night under vacuum and see if the pressure holds.

The AC system on these Galant's are really simple and easy to work on. Even the evaporator was pretty easy to get out. I can say that this car is very well engineered, I would compare its design with the 80s model Mercedes. Over built and designed to be easily repaired.

I need to fix AC on mine. Can you share which drier and expansion valve you went with? Did you convert to r134?

Thanks

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
06/03/18 03:41 PM

Quoting bobdole:

I need to fix AC on mine. Can you share which drier and expansion valve you went with? Did you convert to r134?

Thanks

Same. I bought a new expansion valve for 1837, just haven't installed it yet.

If Bobby could put up the list of parts he used/ordered, I think that would be helpful.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/03/18 05:45 PM

All the parts for the AC system I got from Rock Auto. The expansion valve and drier are pretty much universal parts for those years and also the O ring kit is universal. And yes I did convert the system to R134. I also downloaded the factory manual which has a very detailed section on the HVAC System on these cars. And always change the Valve Cores.

Parts I used rebuilding AC system

Drier- FOUR SEASONS 33575
Expansion Valve- FOUR SEASONS 39491
O Ring Kit- FOUR SEASONS 26764
AC compressor- click

I did have to put the pulley from my old compressor on to the new one since they where different sizes. The pulley is held on by about 6 little bolts

bobdole
06/08/18 10:02 AM

Where did you download the service manuals from please? Trying to get an idea on replacing the expansion valve.

idreamidrive
(Member +)
06/12/18 01:30 PM

Lilevo.com/mirage has all the manuals you would ever need
click

Page 627 of this PDF is ac stuff

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/14/18 04:34 PM

Waiting for my Wife in the grocery store for about 15 minutes in 98 degree Houston heat with the AC on and the temp stays right in the middle.

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
06/15/18 06:20 AM

If my temp gauge gets anywhere near the location yours is in I start checkin stuff. That is why I have an aftermarket Coolant Temp gauge

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/15/18 10:21 AM

Do you run a thermostat???

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
06/15/18 10:38 AM

On every 6G Galant I've had the temp gauge always reads just a fraction under half at operating temp. I believe the gauge is wired that way so the needle doesn't fluctuate so much, and that it gives the illusion that it warms up quick and is stable. Ie, let's say at 190-220F it's going to read the exact same on the stock temp gauge.

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/15/18 10:47 AM

My gauge always stays in the middle no matter what temperature it is outside. Also the fan dose not come on until the temp gauge starts moving past the middle. It could be that have the temp senor on the thermostat housing instead of the radiator...

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
06/15/18 11:32 AM

Mine and my two sons are also located on the Thermostat housing. None of ours ever hit the middle until the temps start getting to high. It could be that the needle is a little off on that gauge

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
06/15/18 08:53 PM

Quoting thomcasey:

If my temp gauge gets anywhere near the location yours is in I start checkin stuff. That is why I have an aftermarket Coolant Temp gauge

Same here, Thom. I set my CEL to come of at 206 through ECMlink instead of having a separate gauge. On really hot days when sitting in traffic is starts to flicker a bit when getting close to that temp. As I get back up to speed and get some air flowing through the radiator it will turn back off. It's worked nicely for me like this for years now.

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
06/16/18 09:13 PM

In also have link set, lol. I take the temp for the gauge from the upper hose. Let's me know if the fans are doing their job

bobdole
06/27/18 02:06 PM

Quoting bobbybdemented:

All the parts for the AC system I got from Rock Auto. The expansion valve and drier are pretty much universal parts for those years and also the O ring kit is universal. And yes I did convert the system to R134. I also downloaded the factory manual which has a very detailed section on the HVAC System on these cars. And always change the Valve Cores.

Parts I used rebuilding AC system

Drier- FOUR SEASONS 33575
Expansion Valve- FOUR SEASONS 39491
O Ring Kit- FOUR SEASONS 26764
AC compressor- click

I did have to put the pulley from my old compressor on to the new one since they where different sizes. The pulley is held on by about 6 little bolts

Working on my AC system now. What convert kit did you use? can't find the correct one.

Charles

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page