GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/22/15 01:23 PM
New Personal Best with 1837

I got a chance to take 1837 back to the track last night. It was a packed house, which meant I only got 2 runs in. I was staged for my 3rd run, and somebody broke at about the 1/8 and they closed the track for the night. But, even with only 2 passes, I was able to run a new personal best of 13.5 @ 102, so I can't really complain.

The car was running on 93 pump at about 20psi, dropping off to 19psi at redline. Timing was set fairly conservative, peaking at 17-18*.

I definitely need some more seat time with the new clutch. I'm trying to find the sweet spot with the launch RPM, and I don't feel like I got enough passes to truly find it. I can definitely say this clutch is wayyy better than the old one. I cut my best 60' to date the very first pass. I probably would have had an even better launch if the fuckin' staging official didn't make me drive through the water box. I also need more boost. I'm running ECMlink boost control, and even with the solenoid duty cycle set at 100%, I can only get 19psi at redline. So, I need to screw with it and figure out how to get more boost up top.

My real issue is my transmission. It's just getting worn out, and shifting at high RPM is becoming a chore. So, the next step will be acquiring a decent transmission.

Overall, it was a great night. I got to meet sonyslave from T00ners and check out the bad ass twin scroll S362 setup he's running on his 1G. I ended the night with pancakes at Ihop with one of my other buddies. On the way home, we went through a sobriety checkpoint, where I met probably the only Maryland State cop that knows what a Galant VR-4 is. We chatted briefly about the car before he waived me through

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/22/15 01:55 PM
Re: New Personal Best with 1837

Great job! If I end up in Va next year I'll have to meet up with you for one of these!

Olson
(Pwnd by Rance.)
08/22/15 05:26 PM

cute time.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/22/15 08:50 PM

Michael (sonyslave) was a PNW guy until he moved out there. Cool that you met him. Small world.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/22/15 10:43 PM

Yeah, Michael said he knew a lot of the guys from English. Said he raced with them back in the day. He's a cool dude, and his Eclipse is pretty nasty.

vr4hotness
(New Daddy)
08/23/15 09:32 AM

Nice what mods?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/23/15 11:43 AM

Thanks. You can check my showcase for an up-to-date mod list.

prove_it
(my racist jokes aren't actually funny)
08/24/15 08:26 AM

You could run low 12's on a 14b if you were in Hawaii....

LOL

By the way your boost tapering off at high rpm could be the wastegate cracking open and not holding. I had that with my internal S16, no matter what I did I couldn't go above 20psi at above 6500. Even with the wastegate disconnected.

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
08/24/15 09:01 AM

Shim that wastegate and run 25 psi like a boss.

prove_it
08/24/15 09:24 AM

Problem with shimming the WG is that it leads to wear on the arm bushing and increases the chances of cracking the turbine housing. It works, but Justin over on tooners found a way to use a holset actuator on the stock MHI turbos. Gives you a 18psi spring can be had for cheap.

Justins high boost solution.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
08/24/15 09:55 AM

seems simple enough, i like the idea.

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
08/24/15 10:53 AM

Quoting prove_it:

Problem with shimming the WG is that it leads to wear on the arm bushing and increases the chances of cracking the turbine housing. It works, but Justin over on tooners found a way to use a holset actuator on the stock MHI turbos. Gives you a 18psi spring can be had for cheap.

The "issues" that you listed, of which I would love to see some proof of, would still exist with a Holset actuator.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
08/24/15 10:56 AM

Quoting CutlassJim:

Shim that wastegate and run 25 psi like a boss.

Not familiar with this. Where do you shim?

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
08/24/15 11:05 AM

You shim it under where the wastegate mounts to the compressor housing. This raises the seat and opening pressure of the wastegate by shortening the spring inside the wastegate and raising the force required to move it via Hooke's law F=-kX. It's the same as the old school mod of threading the wastegate arm and shortening the arm.

With no boost controller and 1/8" of shims (two washers) I usually see 17-18 psi on an Evo 3 16G base pressure and use a Hallman to control a steady 25 psi. This is with the larger flapper door.

I've been doing this for about 15 years on everything from Grand Nationals, MKIII Supras, 240's and DSM's and never had an issue.

prove_it
08/24/15 11:48 AM

Good to hear. I've never personally seen the wear I describe, but have learned it through a couple reputable turbo builders. In the past I too have threaded the rod and shortend it.

Nice thing about the holset is that they will hold back 30psi. The stock MHI will have a limit as the spring is still weak. Also it will have more throw than the shimmed/shorter MHI actuator(not a big deal as your trying to hold it closed).

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
08/24/15 12:13 PM

Thank you both. I understand.

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
08/24/15 01:08 PM

Quoting prove_it:

Good to hear. I've never personally seen the wear I describe, but have learned it through a couple reputable turbo builders. In the past I too have threaded the rod and shortend it.

Nice thing about the holset is that they will hold back 30psi. The stock MHI will have a limit as the spring is still weak. Also it will have more throw than the shimmed/shorter MHI actuator(not a big deal as your trying to hold it closed).

I can see the bushing wear but have NO idea how this could affect the hole cracking any more. My point was that if it happened with a shimmed stock actuator it's still going to happen with a Holset or whatever regulator as force on the flapper arm is force on the flapper arm no matter how it's created.

I'm not in the elite or an E85 user so I'm not looking for more than 26ish psi out of an internally gated turbo anyway but a I could see a stronger spring being needed after that.

G
(JDM Unit)
08/24/15 02:25 PM

Interesting. I run a e3b16g @ a steady 24psi with out a shim. No spikes, no tapering off etc..........I wonder what would happen if I shimmed it. I could just turn the boost up.

prove_it
08/24/15 02:34 PM

Cams, exhaust, intake all can effect that.

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
08/24/15 03:17 PM

Also the larger flapper door gives more surface area for the turbine pressure to push on and they blow open easier than a stock flapper.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/24/15 06:15 PM

Quoting prove_it:

Yeah, this was actually going to be my next stop. Seems like people have had good luck with the modified Holset actuators.

I guess I could try shimming the actuator. No harm in trying the cheaper easier option first.

EfiniX
(Member ++)
08/24/15 06:30 PM

Great numbers! Mind sharing your link setup? I'd love to see your timing map and a WoT pull.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/24/15 08:29 PM

Sure, It'd be easiest if I could just email it to you since I can't upload it here. Shoot me a PM.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/25/15 05:44 PM

Ok, nvmd. I got a bunch of messages asking for the tune, so I'll just post it here. I dialed in the new injectors about an hour before I drove to the track. As a result, my laptop was dead by the time I got to the track, and I don't have any actual pulls from that night. Here is a 3rd gear pull from earlier that day. The only changes I've really made since this log is rounding out the timing map a bit better. Everything else is pretty much the same.

click

For anyone who my try to use this (or parts of this) in their own car, here are my recommendations:

-Tweak the timing map for max power: I have the map set at 17* from about 4500 to redline. Depending on your turbo, you'll probably want to pull some timing early to help with spool, and add some up top near redline to make a bit of extra power (which is what my current map looks like). If you just need a consistent timing value to dial in your MAF/injectors, this will probably work for you as-is. I will post my updated timing map next time I grab a log.

-Tweak the MAF: I still need to pull some fuel as shown in this log. I'm fine with running a bit on the rich side, but I'm still a few points off from having the MAF dialed in perfect. I had to make a lot of changes from the 560s to the 1050s, which took a little work.

-Adjust the BCS duty cycle: Obviously, if you're running ECMtuning boost control, you'll want to dial the duty cycle back. I'm at 100% DC throughout nearly the entire RPM range.

I also dropped my launch limit to 4500. Not sure if this helped or hurt me, as I didn't get enough passes in to really get the feel for the new clutch.

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
08/25/15 10:48 PM

Bruh my old VR4 ran 13.7 @102 with just an exhaust, JDM intercooler and boost set to 17psi, otherwise it was stock. You need to be going faster!

EfiniX
(Member ++)
08/26/15 11:30 AM

Thanks for the log. It was your timing number that got my attention. I'm pushing 24psi on 92-octane pump gas off a T3/T04 and I'm still struggling with more timing v. more boost.

For now, I'm not doing any tuning until I get my IAT installed, but the more information I can take in, the better.

Much appreciated!

prove_it
08/26/15 11:54 AM

More boost will ultimately make you more power. More air, more fuel, more power. As long as your still blowing less than hot air out of the turbo anyway.

EfiniX
(Member ++)
08/27/15 10:37 AM

Interesting. You've got almost exactly the same knock profile I have. Same counts at around the same RPM range w/ a similar throttle position.

I'm really starting to believe these cars just shake in the right way right around 3300RPM's to generate knock...

And a question: My BoostEst is generally tracking higher than my actual. I noticed your tracks lower and is more accurate through the pull. What is the method for getting the BoostEst to match what my OmniBar is showing me?

prove_it
08/27/15 10:59 AM

Dialing in your airflowperrev at idle helps with that. That's the base number link uses to calculate boostest. Now in days it's not a big deal if it's off. As long as trims, deadtime, and global fuel all seem good then it's not worth chasing trying to get it lined up.

And yes, 3k-3500rpms seem to have the biggest phantom knock. Some believe that BSE leads to this, but I've seen it on BS equipped cars too. I've had it on my cars too. My link ignores knock until around 3400.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/27/15 04:44 PM

Quoting 89Patches:

Bruh my old VR4 ran 13.7 @102 with just an exhaust, JDM intercooler and boost set to 17psi, otherwise it was stock. You need to be going faster!

I agree. I picked up almost 3mph in the 1/4 but only shaved just over 1/10th of a second off my ET. All I can say is my launches need work and my transmission is garbage. Eventually, I'll get both worked out. The trap speed suggests the car has the ability to run a better ET, so it's not too terribly discouraging to me. If I was able to get a few more runs in that night, I definitely think I could have made a faster pass.

Quoting EfiniX:

Interesting. You've got almost exactly the same knock profile I have. Same counts at around the same RPM range w/ a similar throttle position.

I'm really starting to believe these cars just shake in the right way right around 3300RPM's to generate knock...

And a question: My BoostEst is generally tracking higher than my actual. I noticed your tracks lower and is more accurate through the pull. What is the method for getting the BoostEst to match what my OmniBar is showing me?

Honestly, unless my car is knocking under heavy throttle, I ignore it for the most part.

The BoostEst is calculated from your airflow per rev. Since you don't have a MAF, you'd probably need to make adjustments to your VE table to dial this in better. You should see BoostEst line up with actual boost at 100% VE, or around 5500-6500 RPM for most cars. As Ryan said, I wouldn't worry too much about it if everything else is where it should be.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/09/15 08:57 PM

Ran a 12.9 @ 105 with 1837 tonight. Cut a 1.8 60' as well; my best to date. Only got 2 runs in before test and tune got rained out, and one of my cooling fans ate itself. Overall, I'm still really happy with the car.

I've got in car video I'll post up later.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
10/09/15 09:43 PM

Nice. Whoever was in the other lane has some power, but no traction, lol. Same E.T. but another 10mph trap. What was it?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/09/15 10:06 PM

My buddy who was there with me said it was a 5.0 Coyote (He's a Mustang owner, so I assume he knows). Not sure how modded it was though. I ripped a good 3 cars on him out of the hole, and we were door to door by the 1/8th. I'll post up the video tomorrow, which shows a bit of the action.

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
10/09/15 10:09 PM

My buddy has a 2014 base model 5.0 that did 12.40 @ 117 completely stock. Well it had a drop in K&N and MagnaFlo mufflers lol.

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
10/09/15 10:11 PM

You are getting better though. Drop that 60' a little more and see that ET come down.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/09/15 10:29 PM

Yeah, the new 5.0 is a pretty incredible motor. There were quite a few guys there in Mustangs, Vettes and Camaros. Most of them were also on street tires, spinning like hell out of the hole.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/10/15 02:16 AM

Car looks great as always Brett, and definitely has some more in it

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/10/15 08:39 AM

Thanks, Craig.

Here's the video of the run: 1837 goes 12.9

Edit: Pay close attention to the Corvette in my lane during staging. Dude almost puts it into the wall

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
10/10/15 08:56 AM

That's why that Coyote is slower than it should. It's got the terrible MT82 trans

prove_it
10/10/15 01:48 PM

I bet you could run 12.7 with a hot pipe.....

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/10/15 02:49 PM

Your mom likes my hot pipe.

prove_it
10/10/15 04:40 PM

Too bad you already claimed it doesn't work....

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
10/10/15 05:12 PM

AHahahhahaha. Well played

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/10/15 07:41 PM

Quoting prove_it:

Too bad you already claimed it doesn't work....

After a quick hit of meth, it works just fine...I mean, you've seen what she looks like when you're sober, right?

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
10/10/15 08:48 PM

diambo4life
(Member)
10/10/15 09:08 PM

Nah...just needs a better driver.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/10/15 10:41 PM

^Or prove_it's mom in the back seat for added weight over the rear axle.

prove_it
10/12/15 10:55 AM

Kinda sad you can only get with older heavy ladies.....

You must be a bingo club creeper.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
10/14/15 12:25 AM

If someone where to edit out the mustang it would appear as if your GVR4 is coyote swapped haha. Nice run Brett.

matt92vr4
(Member ++)
10/16/15 03:40 PM

Nice, congrats on the 12. What did you change in your tune?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/16/15 04:17 PM

Quoting matt92vr4 :

Nice, congrats on the 12. What did you change in your tune?

Thanks!

For the tune: a little more boost, and a little less peak timing. The biggest help was a good launch, and being able to hit all 4 gears quickly.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/22/15 09:11 PM

Well, took 1837 at the track again tonight. I ran a new personal best, but the car had so much more in it. My first pass was 12.8. The whether was cold (42*), which translated into the track being cold and poorly prepped. The first pass I spun all the way through first, and the car bogged as I hit second. The rest of the pass was clean, which netted a 12.8 @ 109mph. The 60' wasn't great, but wasn't horrible either considering how bad the car spun out of the hole.

I only made 1 other pass. I dropped the launch RPM to 4000 to get the car to hook in the cold. Apparently, it worked. I left the line pretty hard and felt a bang. The car then started wheel hopping pretty bad, so I let out of it and babied it back to the pits. Apparently, it's FWD now. I got it home and jacked up the front end. I can spin either front tire, and the drive shaft spins freely with the rear wheels still on the ground. I'm guessing I trashed the 3 bolt rear end. What's hilarious is it made the hour drive back from the track like nothing happened. FWD GVR-4 FTW

All else equal, a better 60' at 109 mph is good for a quicker pass, but looks like I'm done for the season. Here's a video of the run and a few pics of the day. Got to hang out with a few friends, so there's a few shots of their cars below as well.

1837 going 12.8

My car, my buddy Josh's WRX STI, and buddy Dan's 1G Talon.

A clean Syclone that was running 10's. I got to run with him my first pass.

Josh's STI

Dan's Talon

Why so serious Camaro?

donniekak
(Member ++)
11/23/15 12:41 AM

One of your axle ends is probably broke of in the rear end.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/23/15 01:21 AM

And if you drove it home like that, the viscous coupling in the trans is probably toast now.

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
11/23/15 07:03 AM

^This. I was thinking the same thing when you mentioned the hour long drive.
Could be worse though!

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/23/15 07:10 AM

Yeah, I didn't care if the VC got trashed so long as it saved me a tow truck ride. That transmission has been shit for a while now, and it was coming out this winter anyways. I've got a spare sitting on the garage floor ready to go in, I just haven't found time to do it.

I kinda thought I may have broken an axle off in the diff, as I've never seen a sub 400hp car clean the teeth off the ring gear. But, I wasn't sure if that may have also damaged the diff somehow. Again, I wasn't too concerned with it, since winter build plans also included dropping the rear subframe to recondition it, and upgrade to a 4 bolt rear.

prove_it
11/23/15 03:20 PM

I also haven't seen many sub 400whp cars explode 3rd gear or the center diff, but hey I did. Things break when the torque is just right.

Blame it on the ethanol....

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/23/15 05:45 PM

Nice run Brett!

transparentdsm
11/23/15 06:02 PM

Nicely done!! car is looking and running really nice.

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
11/23/15 06:54 PM

You get to check out the mods to that syclone?? [email protected] in the 1/8th, and extremely clean

sy1100
(Junior Member)
11/23/15 08:04 PM

I miss my Syclone..

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/23/15 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Ryan, I didn't get a look under the hood of the Syclone. I don't think the guy ever even got out of the truck. It was super clean, though. He obviously let out of it at the end of the 1/4 for some reason when he was running with me. I saw him run a 10-something later that day.

desant78
(Member ++)
11/23/15 09:41 PM

Brett, congrats on the improvement!! I can't wait to next season when you can really see what the car had! It's funny how you complained about the welded center, because I think that's the only reason you had such a smooth ride home!

Anyway, sorry to hear about failure at the track, cant wait to see what it was.

desant78
(Member ++)
11/23/15 09:43 PM

Quoting turbowop:

And if you drove it home like that, the viscous coupling in the trans is probably toast now.

Does the VCU do anything or serve any purpose when the center diff is already welded? Just curious, because my understanding is that any effects of the VCU on the driveline are negated by the welded diff.

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
11/23/15 09:45 PM

^^ correct if your center diff is welded then the VCU does nothing.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/24/15 02:01 AM

I don't think Brett had a welded center in that trans.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/24/15 06:23 AM

Yeah, this trans has a welded diff in it.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
11/24/15 07:07 AM

I see you are planning a 4 bolt, but I have spare standard 3-bolt axles if you need some in the interim.

transparentdsm
11/24/15 07:33 AM

good call, Brett i did just do a 4 bolt swap in my pumpkin. i have the rear and both axles out of the car. you can have them for shipping cost.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/24/15 10:26 AM

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Yeah, this trans has a welded diff in it.

Oh, well shit. That's why you made it home then. I was actually surprised that a VCU could last a drive that long with a broken rear axle. That explains it.

prove_it
11/24/15 10:54 AM

That's also what could have caused the rear to break on a sub 400hp car.

desant78
(Member ++)
11/24/15 07:24 PM

Also Brett, if the car is going to sit for a while, make sure to clean out the fuel injectors before doing so. e85 is nasty when it just sits in your fuel injector for extended periods of time. Hope to see the car running soon!

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/24/15 07:31 PM

Quoting transparentdsm:

good call, Brett i did just do a 4 bolt swap in my pumpkin. i have the rear and both axles out of the car. you can have them for shipping cost.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I'm really torn on whether or not I want to keep the 4WS and swap the 4 bolt rear into the 3 bolt pumpkin. On one hand, I'd like to keep the 4WS since it's complete, doesn't leak (yet), and functions flawlessly. I also don't want to fuck with welding the trailing arms, so there's that as well.

On the other hand, last time I was hanging out with Sal, he was telling me about a track day he was doing with his Evo. It really made me want to bring the Galant out. I can only imagine the 4WS would make that a nightmare...But I've never really pushed the car under those conditions to see how it responds/handles with the 4WS. Maybe some of you guys have tracked with 4WS? Thoughts?

Regarding the breakage, I have no idea how it happened. Traction was complete shit, and I didn't see a single car hook all day. I've launched the car way harder on warmer days, so maybe it was just a failure waiting to happen. Work has been stupid busy, so I haven't even had a chance to look at it since Sunday night to even determine what broke. The new trans has a welded diff in it as well. I'm not gonna lie, the welded diff sucks complete ball sack for anything but straight track racing. But, since that's mostly what I use the car for, it makes it hard to get rid of.

Quoting desant78:

Also Brett, if the car is going to sit for a while, make sure to clean out the fuel injectors before doing so. e85 is nasty when it just sits in your fuel injector for extended periods of time. Hope to see the car running soon!

Yeah, the plan is to swap back to pump gas before the winter.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/26/15 02:10 PM

Well, found the problem.

ghostinthevr4
(Likes Poetry)
11/26/15 08:47 PM

Looks like you got off lucky.

desant78
(Member ++)
11/26/15 09:35 PM

that's getting off lucky!!

prove_it
11/27/15 12:38 PM

That's what I thought it would be, seeing how you always have trouble with your shaft.....

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/20/15 06:03 PM

Well, I know I said I was done for the season, but I lied. Breaking an axle on the second pass last time I was at the track kept me from tapping into the car's full potential, which really sucked. Not only that, but I really wanted to push the car on the bastard 20G just to see what it was capable of, especially on E85. So, I figured what the hell, I'd hit the track up one last time before the snow files.

So, once again I drove the shit box an hour to Capitol to make a few passes. The high temperature was only 45* today, so I wasn't incredibly hopeful that I'd get out of the hole on a cold ass track. Turns out, the track prep guys were on their A game today, and that shit was sticky as fuck. Of the half dozen times I've been there, the track has never been prepped that good, IMO. I was cutting 1.7 60's all day. First, let me say, I'm far from a pro driver. And second, I'm on Dunlop Direzza DZ101's at ~30psi...Not exactly a racecar recipe for good launches. The track was honestly just prepped really damn good. With consistent 1.7 60' foot times, the car ran 12.2's all day. The best pass was 12.1 @ 117.

Boost was peaking at around 28psi dropping to 26 at redline. Timing was still super conservative at 17* peak. There was plenty of room for more boost and timing, but before I got a chance to mess with the tune the car broke.

Somehow, 2 blades broke off of my brand new SPAL fan, which knocked a hole in the radiator. The car started pissing water everywhere, so I had to call it quits. I had one of my buddies grab some gas tank repair epoxy from the nearby parts store, and patched it up so I could limp the car an hour home. The is the second time I've had a SPAL fan that blades busted off of. It happened at the track BOTH times too, so IDK WTF is going on with that. It sucks, because the radiator and fan were damn near brand new.

Pretty much no fucks given that the car is broke, though. A new personal best isn't a bad way to end the season, broken car or not. I honestly think the car has a 11 second pass in it as it's current configured. With a better trans, I know it's an 11 second car as is. But, with plans to have the new 68HTA in new year, I'm not sure if I'll get another opportunity to push the car like it sits right now. I guess we'll see what next year has in store.

Per the usual, here's a photo dump of the day and some video of the 12.2 pass. There are a few shots of my buddy Dan's Talon and MK3 Supra as well.

1837 going 12.2

faqinshiet
(Member +)
12/20/15 06:52 PM

Nice runs! Can't wait to see the 68hta!!

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
12/20/15 07:16 PM

Something must be twisting/flexing/distorting to allow the blades to make contact with something.

BENE38A
(Slanging Kiwi parts)
12/20/15 10:17 PM

congrats, good way to end the season aside from the radiator

BENE38A
(Slanging Kiwi parts)
12/20/15 10:17 PM

congrats, good way to end the season aside from the radiator

transparentdsm
12/21/15 08:09 AM

nice run. try a mishimoto fan..

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
12/21/15 10:29 AM

^ never thought i'd see the day people start recommending Mishimoto over SPAL...
I think Mishi has upped their game in recent years, and not just in a marketing capacity. If it does prove to just be a defective fan, then sure, give one of those a shot. I might chalk one up to an anomaly or defective, but 2 SPALs failed now? Gotta wonder if something else is afoot. Brett i'm sure you'll figure it out.

Nice runs, BTW. Glad to see the car finally coming into its own!!

transparentdsm
12/21/15 11:40 AM

the high flow fan i just got to cool my scirocco radiator seems to be of very high quality and when i jumped the fan to see its flow it was cranking the CFM. i got a 12" and its rated for 1850 CFM. this is it click i have yet to run the car though as its getting a lot of upgrades and still isn't done.

prove_it
12/21/15 01:54 PM

Had you been running a hot pipe you could have broke the 11s....

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
12/21/15 02:37 PM

Quoting iceman69510:

Something must be twisting/flexing/distorting to allow the blades to make contact with something.

I'd say your right! You don't install rad fans this way Brett...

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/21/15 03:33 PM

That's an old picture of an old setup. This was the current fan setup:

There's a gasket on the perimeter of each fan. There's nearly a 1/4 of clearance between the blades and the closest part of the radiator. Apparently, that wasn't enough. To be clear, I know it's not the fault of the fan. It's something I'm doing. I'm guessing the plastic ties that push through the radiator aren't cutting it at 100+ mph, seeing as this only happens when I'm at the track.

No biggie, it's a cheap radiator and the fan isn't horribly expensive either. It just sucks I have to replace them both seeing as they were both fairly new. Gotta pay to play I guess.

89Mirageman
(Senior Member)
12/21/15 03:40 PM

Congrats Brett and good thinking on the quick repair. Saved some serious cash on the tow truck.

diambo4life
(Member)
12/21/15 05:53 PM

Fan diameter is too big for the radiator. IMO, it should mount flush with the core. Congrats on the new times! Keep making that progress.

matt92vr4
(Member ++)
12/24/15 09:20 AM

Nice runs! Glad to see the car getting to where you want it. I've broke the plastic zip ties on launches before. I'd say its the launch breaking them more than the 100+ speeds. Good job.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
09/05/16 03:54 PM

Got to take the car out to the track and make some passes last Friday. I didn't run as fast as I would have liked to, but it was nice to make some shakedown passes on the new setup. I mainly struggled with traction and shifts, both of which hurt on the slips. Before Friday, I probably launched the car one other time on the new turbo/motor, and it showed. I couldn't cut a decent 60' all night. With a few adjustments, I'll get back out and make some quicker passes when it cools off here in the Fall.

Although I didn't achieve any new personal bests, the car ran rock solid all night. I hot lapped the first two passes to beat staging traffic, and the car didn't give a single fuck. Temps stayed in check, and the motor runs awesome. Best of all, no breakages...Which is more than I can say for a bunch of other people at the track that day. I think I spent half the night with my thumb in my ass waiting for the track crew to clean up oil and shit from breakages.

Luckily, a few friends showed, so there was somebody to BS with while we waited. I got a few pics with Jason's MKIV Supra (runs 9's on a street tire) and my buddy Dan's 1GA Talon.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
09/05/16 04:39 PM

Nice! I'll have to swing by one night when you head there! By the way what the tracks name and where is it located?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
09/05/16 08:12 PM

It's Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD.

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
09/06/16 09:05 AM

Man...that car is NICE looking...and seems to be a "nice middle ground" for power and street use.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
09/14/16 01:50 PM

Thanks, Nate.

I'm not sure I'll ever get the car into the 10's (and definitely not a quickly as you did), but 11's would be nice.

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
09/15/16 08:46 AM

10's aint all it's cracked up to be , I'd switch turbos and power bands with you any day, cause my "ten sec car" isn't all that much fun to daily drive on street tires and no power till 5500rpm. As Iv said in other places, Im going to mod my GVR4 to be more like yours with a small turbo that spools fast, and a complete car that's nicer and more sorted out.

Kudos

you coming up to Etown for the Mitsu vs Subaru race Oct 22 by any chance? I missed out on meeting you at the shootout, would be cool to catch up.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
09/15/16 08:10 PM

I hadn't considered it, but sounds like a good time. Details on the event?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/19/16 04:40 PM

It sucks running 12.1, doesn't it? I mean, you feel like 11's are just so close... then you go out and run again and don't do as well.
At least, that's exactly what happened with my car. Seems the same here.
Maybe i'll get it out again this year, but I doubt it. Until i put new tires on it, i don't think i'm going to beat my 12.1 ET or my 118mph trap. Not on 92 octane pump gas alone, anyway.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
09/19/16 06:29 PM

Yeah, I feel like I have a love hate relationship with the car at the track. It always seems like when I go out and expect nothing, I run my best times. This last time out I told myself breaking 11's was the goal, and you see how that worked out

Oh well, it gives me something to keep working toward.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
04/15/17 11:14 AM

Curse of the 12's...

I took the Galant out to Capitol Raceway once again trying to break the 11 second barrier on the 68HTA. And once again, couldn't quite pull it off. I was robbed by 3 hundredths of a second.

FML

Overall the car ran awesome, but my launches are what ended up being the deal breaker. If I could have cut any time off at the line, I would have had it. I've cut low 1.7s in the Galant before, but out of 4 passes, I just couldn't ace the dig. Traction was decent, but the water box was spread across the line and I wasn't able to go around it, which didn't help. Better tires, lower tire pressure, NLTS, suspension tweaks...All changes I could have probably made to shave some time, but didn't. My crappy ass transmission didn't help my times either, but the Shep box in the garage should fix that.

At the end of the day, the Galant is just a street car I take to the track for fun. And it was a ton of fun. Best of all, I drove there, made four 12 second passes, and drove home without any issues. That's always a win.

At this point, I'm pretty sure this is the end of the road for the 68HTA, as I'm satisfied with how far I've pushed this turbo. I wanted to see what it's capable of, and I think I'm pretty content with my answer. On a better day (and with a better driver), I think it could have pushed the Galant into the 11s. I also think it's good for another 20-30 hp on the dyno with some tweaks. But, I won't be the one to see the any of that unexploited potential, if it exists.

So, some decent changes in store for the Galant in the near future. I'll be replacing the 68HTA with a FP3052 ball bearing setup, and adding all the good stuff that goes with it. I'm also FINALLY going to install a decent transmission in the car, which its never had since I've owned it. All of which mods should make for a quicker, more powerful, and better rounded setup.

1837 may not have dipped into the 11s last night, but eventually she'll get there. I set a new personal best for trap speed and ET in the car, so I can't be too upset.

Vids of the 2 best passes + slips below.

This was the best pass of the night. 12.030 @ 119.39 MPH.
click

This was the second best pass of the night. 12.060 @ 118.81 MPH.
click

Slipz

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
04/16/17 11:05 AM

How much power is it pushing with the 68HTA?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
04/16/17 04:26 PM

436whp/417ft-lbs

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
04/16/17 05:34 PM

nice! those are good numbers. I might look into that turbo to retain the stock look.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
04/16/17 06:36 PM

Nice work!

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
04/23/17 08:09 PM

119 is solid for a "stocker" on the outside! If you swap the 68hta out eventually, I might be interested in picking it up from you.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/23/17 02:38 PM

I was out at the track again a few weeks ago. I wanted to make some shakedown passes on the new turbo setup to try and get the car dialed in. It was hot as fuck, and I wasn't terribly excited about making passes in the heat.

The first pass I turned down the boost a bit and came out of the hole nice and easy just to get some decent log data of a 1-4 WOT pull. The logs showed the car running great, even with 130+ IATs toward the end of the run.

Once I was confident the car was running well, I turned the boost back up, and did my best to get out of the hole. I hot lapped back to the staging lanes after the 1st pass while the crowd was thin, and per the usual, the track staff dragged the water box across the entire staging lane, which left me with greasy rubber on the line. I cut a decent 60', and made a [email protected] pass. I had the redline set at 8.75k, and the trans refused to shift from 2-3 and 3-4 until the revs dropped down, which killed my ET. I'll be addressing the shifting issue in the coming weeks with a QM twin. The logs showed pretty hot IATs once again, but otherwise the car was running solid.

I hot lapped back to the staging lanes again to get a 3rd pass in. I didn't change change anything from the second pass, and hoped to concentrate on my shifts to try and improve the ET. I never got that far. I launched the car, and immediately got a ton of vibration in the drivetrain. I knew I chunked something, so limped it down the 1/4 and pulled into the pits.

Once in the pits, I got a look under the car and saw the slip yoke for the DSS driveshaft hanging about 2" too far out of the rear of the transfer case. I tried to seat it back onto the input shaft with no luck. I have some ideas as to what caused the failure, which I'll share at a later time. But, basically the DSS slip yoke seems like it isn't the greatest, and is prone to failure.

I swapped in my stock driveshaft for the time being to get the car back up and running. I've been working with customer service at DSS for the past few weeks to resolve the issue I'm having with the DSS driveshaft. Once I have a resolution I'll outline the entire debacle.

Once again, 11s have eluded me.

TheRedBaran3
(Newbie)
07/28/17 07:53 PM

Hopefully you
Figure it out soon !

G
(JDM Unit)
07/28/17 08:23 PM

Need this click

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
04/01/18 12:27 AM

I decided to take the Galant out to Race Legal in San Diego to test out the new clutch. Finding a place to do test launches in SoCal isn't easy or convenient like it was while I was in Maryland. I wasn't expecting to set any record times, since the 1/8 mile "track" is just a strip parking lot they section off to make runs on. As expected, zero traction out of the hole, but it was definitely fun making passes and hanging out.

I dragged David (ApexHunter) along with me, and also got to meet Richard (faqinshiet) and check out his GGSX. There were some local DSM guys there we got to chat with as well, so all in all, it was a good time.

Pics of the Mitsu stuff, Richard's GGSX, and some video of my first pass of the night:

Video

tigerspeed35
(Junior Member)
04/01/18 11:06 AM

Just left SD area and got back into a Galant....kinda miss it out there. Also look into the up north track Fontano(I think Wednesday night's they have something going o

faqinshiet
(Member +)
04/01/18 05:25 PM

It was good you finally meet you too Brett! And good to see David too!

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
04/02/18 09:00 PM

That Starion...

Good times for sure. Good seeing you too Richard, crazy timing on that one. Normally i'm in school Friday nights; spring break FTW.

diambo4life
(Member)
04/07/18 02:26 PM

Good stuff. I celebrate when I run into one DSM guy here....

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page