Dan D
(220, 221... whatever it takes)
07/05/11 10:31 AM
Bilstein HDs

I bought these(clicky) from belize1334. I also got the rear evo springs and hats.

Got everything together over the weekend. Rears were a piece of cake. Initially they sat ~0.75” higher vs my old OEM springs on blown AGX but once I finished the fronts and let it settle overnight there is little over 1” drop. I was actually surprised by how much lower they went. I slapped my old oem springs on the fronts after I painted the housings just to get an idea of how it would sit and ride. The front is sky high now with the rear having dropped.

In regards to ride these are great. The rears handle the evo spring rate just fine. No weird oscillations or bouncing – just flat and smooth. What a big improvement in ride quality over the agx. Smooth and stable with little body roll. Soaks up bumps quite well and is super stable in a corner with only a roughed-in alignment. I just need to get the front springs sorted. I like how it rides so much that I might try some DSM front springs so it levels out some without too much increase in front spring rate. I can’t believe more people hadn’t figured out and tried these Bilsteins.

123abc
(Member)
07/05/11 04:26 PM
Re: Bilstein HDs

I must ask, whats the problem running 3kgt vr4 Bilstein hd's? Why the bmw rears?

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/24/14 09:17 PM

Any chance there's a part number on the cut struts your using to house you bilstein inserts?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/25/14 01:57 PM

I have the whole build up on DSM tuners.com, Just search for Bilstein HD. You will see everything I did
Rick

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/25/14 08:04 PM

I've read it and commented. My questions weren't answered.

Edit:
I guess you tried cutting open gr2s from a DSM and it didn't fit? Well last question I have would be is it worth 300 for front struts when you can get bc set for ~1k?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/25/14 09:31 PM

My opinion is that Bilstein HDs are much better than any cheap coilovers on the market. Their is no part # for the strut housing because they were built in my garage. All of my modds are custom made in my garage. I am old school hot rodder, always build your own parts, not bolt ons
Rick

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/26/14 12:12 AM

What is the actual outside diameter ?
Edit:
What spring rate and length are you running up front?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/26/14 07:53 AM

I run 375 front springs x 12". You could run 10". All the measurement are on the Bilstein web sight for the strut. I spoke to Was @ Bilstein wast coast.

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/26/14 03:01 PM

What's the impression with these springs? It is on a Galant right? Do you have a picture of the ride hight? I have a 7" 280# set, up front that is maxed out tall and has a huge drop. They are just not cutting it. I was considering a set of 9" but will now look into 10". You are using the gc sleeves right?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/26/14 09:49 PM

Quoting pagosadsm:

My opinion is that Bilstein HDs are much better than any cheap coilovers on the market. Their is no part # for the strut housing because they were built in my garage. All of my modds are custom made in my garage. I am old school hot rodder, always build your own parts, not bolt ons
Rick

What makes the damper so awesome?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/26/14 10:19 PM

://farnorthracing.com/I think Dennis Grant knows more on Struts and shocks than most people on Mitusbushi sights. This is good reading.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/27/14 12:08 AM

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I would ever compare NASCAR to F1 though.

My issue is that unless these are valved specifically for the VR4, they probably leave a lot to be desired compared to even some of the "cheaper" coilover setups. Sure, I'm sure they are really nice dampers, but unless they are set up specifically for the car, you aren't going to use them to their full potential, especially since they aren't adjustable. You'd need somebody like Mueller to do the leg work and figure out the optimal valving, and then find someone to actually modify the dampers. My point being, these would need to be properly valved to really be an improvement over even a decent to cheap adjustable damper.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
07/27/14 02:57 AM

Bilstein HDs are nice, on their own though they are just an upgrade over stock dampers. Bilstein can revalve them for you to any specification you chose. They are good for a set it and forget it style setup, but anyone who wants to tune their dampers will be unable.

What does the one lap VR4 run?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/27/14 08:48 AM

Last time I spoke to him he had a blown set of Konis

ktmrider
(Cool Guy Crowd)
07/27/14 01:18 PM

Quoting coyotes:

Bilstein HDs are nice, on their own though they are just an upgrade over stock dampers. Bilstein can revalve them for you to any specification you chose. They are good for a set it and forget it style setup, but anyone who wants to tune their dampers will be unable.

This, altho "unable" really should be "not easily" ( send them to Bilstein for revalve ).

Bilstein suspension products are about as good as they come. Run them on my Subaru's and had a set on 86/2000, for an install-and-forget system there's nothing better IMO.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/27/14 01:43 PM

I believe Coyotes ment "unable" as is you aren't going to do it yourself like you can with an adjustable set of dampers.

As I said, drop in Blistens (or any damper) should be valved for a specific application. I don't see how they could possibly perform better than adjustable dampers unless they are properly valved. Who has figured out how these should be valved for a Galant VR4, because a damper set up for a 3kgt wouldn't even be close IMO? It sounds like people typically buy these for another application (like a 3kgt) and just drop them in a strut assembly that fits the Galant. If that's the case, you'd probably be better off with a Blisten damper for an Evo or something, if they are even available for an Evo. At least then the valving would probably be closer to being right for the Galant.

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/27/14 08:42 PM

3kgt 3350-3655 lbs weight distribution F/R: 60/40

G-vr4 Curb Weight: 3,270-3527lb weight distribution F/R: 58/42 spring rate front:

Evo-X Curb Weight: 3,131–3,527lb weight distribution F/R: 57/43 spring rate front: 3.5kg(196lb) rear: 2.9-3.8kg(162-212lb) (kg/mm & lbs/in)

The weight isn't that dissimilar so why would the valving be that far off...

This guy loves bilstines click

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/27/14 10:01 PM

I like my Bilsteins. Yes the valving is correct according with Bilstein USA. I was in close communication with Wes at the Bilstein west coast. He was very interested with what I was doing. Bilstein was in the development with manufacturing housing for their struts. I don't have unlimited funds and my thought the Bilsteins was the best choice. As far as the people that disagree with Bilstein show us what you have done with your car. You can see my profile and photos of my build on DSM tuners. I am Shure you have a great car with all of the supporting up grades, all tubular control arms with all steel and heim joint suspension. Upgraded brakes, frame stiffing and roll center and bump steer adjustment. I built the Bilstein stuts and shocks with Ground Controls coilover springs and camber plats for less than $1000.00.

Tektic
I sent you a PM with my phone#. If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to help
Rick

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/27/14 10:15 PM

For the fronts, the part number R36-5021-H0 doesn't exist anywhere that I can find. I also don't see it listed anywhere for a 3KGT. The part number F4-R36-5022-H0 DOES exist however, and that shock is listed for a 3000GT VR-4, which weighs in closer to 3,800-3,900 lbs. Someone feel free to school me up if i'm not Googling good enough.

click

click

The rear is listed for multiple BMW applications ranging from the 89' 525i (3,400 lbs) to the 95' 540i (3,700 lbs). Anyone's guess how that one is valved.

click

Weight distribution doesn't help you that much when comparing 2 vehicles with substantially different weights. You could have 2 cars with 60/40 weight distribution, but if one weighs 100 lbs and the other weighs 1,000lbs, these two cars don't have a bit of common ground when picking the proper suspension setup.

I'm not sure how these would be valved honestly. That was my point. It's anyone's guess until someone does the research on this particular damper (shock dyno, etc). I would go with a cheaper "tuneable" damper before I dropped these in, and did a bunch of custom work just to make them fit. I just don't see the payoff. But, that's just me. I'm sure they are a vast improvement over stock. But, a vast improvement over a cheaper adjustable damper? I just don't see how they would be right out of the box.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
07/27/14 10:20 PM

Quoting pagosadsm:

I like my Bilsteins. Yes the valving is correct according with Bilstein USA. I was in close communication with Wes at the Bilstein west coast. He was very interested with what I was doing. Bilstein was in the development with manufacturing housing for their struts. I don't have unlimited funds and my thought the Bilsteins was the best choice. As far as the people that disagree with Bilstein show us what you have done with your car. You can see my profile and photos of my build on DSM tuners. I am Shure you have a great car with all of the supporting up grades, all tubular control arms with all steel and heim joint suspension. Upgraded brakes, frame stiffing and roll center and bump steer adjustment. I built the Bilstein stuts and shocks with Ground Controls coilover springs and camber plats for less than $1000.00.

Tektic
I sent you a PM with my phone#. If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to help
Rick

I'm not a hater or a doubter of bilsteins. I would love to see your setup actually. It is only my opinion that no one on here is serious enough to go with a proper track setup. BCs or JICs do the trick for those who hit the track for fun.

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/27/14 10:37 PM

You can see my profile and photos on DSM tuners. I have the Bilstein build up there also. Just search Bilstein HD

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/27/14 10:46 PM

The custom work you did on the front dampers was sweet. Did you use the Hyperco springs on the front and back? What were the rates?

And here's his build: click

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/28/14 07:04 AM

I will give you a call today some time. Thank you.

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
07/28/14 10:38 AM

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I would ever compare NASCAR to F1 though.

My issue is that unless these are valved specifically for the VR4, they probably leave a lot to be desired compared to even some of the "cheaper" coilover setups. Sure, I'm sure they are really nice dampers, but unless they are set up specifically for the car, you aren't going to use them to their full potential, especially since they aren't adjustable. You'd need somebody like Mueller to do the leg work and figure out the optimal valving, and then find someone to actually modify the dampers. My point being, these would need to be properly valved to really be an improvement over even a decent to cheap adjustable damper.

If you're talking about cheap japanese single adjustable coilovers, you're likely better off with some evo bilsteins, mostly because the adjusters are fucking worthless... "more rebound? Let's add more compression too!" Not going to lie, there are reasons for cheap coilovers, and some of the brands (i.e. BC) seem to hit a price point while delivering decent performance. None of them are going to be on the level of Ohlins/Penske, but they're 25-35% of the cost, so it makes sense.

One interesting thing about NASCAR, is that while the racing may not be my cup of tea, the fact that the platform changes so little, and the fact that they keep getting faster is similar to how a stupid design like the 911 (rear engine is inherently inferior to mid engine) has gotten so good over time. Having to perfect every aspect of the car to get the performance out is a different challenge than dealing with new engine, chassis & aero requirements every few years.

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/28/14 06:36 PM

Check out this spring claculator!
click
Front and rear motion ratios were listed as .92/.844 on tooners

a=d1 b=d2

This is what I came up with:

weight: 3500
front weight: 58%
unsprung front: 80lb
unsprong rear: 80lb
SF Front: 1.8hz
SF Back: 2.0hz
Spring angle: 5%
Front MR: .98
Rear MR: .844
acf: 1
Front corner sprung: 935lbs
Rear corner weight:: 655lbs
Front WR: 309 lb/in
Rear WR: 267 lb/in
Front SR: 323 lb/in
Rear SR: 377 lb/in

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/28/14 07:34 PM

I tried to call you back but did not go though
Rick

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/30/14 01:40 PM

Ordered a pair of Bilstein 36-5022-H0 strut inserts

idreamidrive
(Member +)
07/30/14 09:45 PM

Can't you get Bilstein HD specific for a GRV4? click
or are they OOS?

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/30/14 11:05 PM

Part Number: 24-012614
Old Part Number: F4-B46-1261-H0

Looks like rear only for what ever reason.

Edit: I got a part number for the front ! BILSTEIN 34-050392

I just cant find a site selling it that's written in English?

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
07/31/14 02:25 AM

What does the "IV" refer to? I hope they just got the numerals the wrong way round since the other details 'seem' accurate. If you get any confirmation on this please post up. I really don't have the fabrication skills to attempt something on this level myself, but I'd like to build some front struts/coilovers with narrower coilover springs to give me room for the camber adjustment I need up front.

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/31/14 09:32 AM

I haven't been able to find anything in north America. Only thing I found in English was from the UK. They wanted 300 each per strut. I would assume they would have to be special order for anything in the USA. I'm still considering the inserts because they are like $160 a side. Bummed because 6 months ago they were listing for just over $100.

I'm pretty sure they will fit inside our strut as is and if not I think they could be widened with a cylinder hone. The difference at most is like 2 tenths of a mm.

idreamidrive
(Member +)
07/31/14 03:16 PM

I have a Bilstein dealer in the US looking for 34-050392 right now.

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
07/31/14 03:33 PM

I bought my Bilsteins from Orielly's

tektic
(Senior Member)
07/31/14 05:38 PM

Ask about 3kgt inserts too.

Orielly lists them for $190 each
click

idreamidrive
(Member +)
07/31/14 09:08 PM

If you want really cheap...
Autozone $189.99
Autozone is doing 20% with ship at home with coupon code save20

If you want to go super cheap...
click
buy a couple discounted gift cards and save like another 19%

Total savings ~39% = ~$150

idreamidrive
(Member +)
08/05/14 07:54 PM

Quoting idreamidrive:

Got a voicemail from my Bilstein dealer, they got a hold of Bilstein corporate and they are discountinued, but they might have the parts to do a custom order (valving to our liking). Like I said it was a voicemail and I just got it so I have no idea what the price would be.

Are we positive that 34-050392 will fit in our sleeves?

pagosadsm
(Junior Member)
08/05/14 08:08 PM

Auto zone has them for 185.00. They give 20% off for on line purchases. I used 95 3000gts

tektic
(Senior Member)
01/06/15 10:28 AM

Just ordered a set of inserts on sale from ajusa.com for $138 each w/free shipping.

tektic
(Senior Member)
01/09/15 10:52 PM

I just got these and nothing is even close to fitting. They don't fit in the old cut housings and the top bolt is 14mm but just under the threaded section is 15mm I cant find misalignment bushings to fit this. This seems to have been a humungous waste of time. I'm going to return them and get BC's This piecemeal shit is not worth it. I just don't have the arsenal of tools to execute this properly.

Although I am still tempted : click

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
01/10/15 11:02 AM

You're gonna get BCs, when these are just chillin? click

ken inn
(BJ Titsengolf lifer)
01/16/15 08:56 PM

Quoting idreamidrive:

i posted this on one of the other threads. way back when, i got a set made by bilstein for the vr4 out of europe, where they had stock. the company i worked for was a big bilstein distributor, and i knew a couple of the reps very well. one of them got me a set from europe. of course, the tops of the front struts have to be cut off, then a hole drilled in the bottom of the strut. a screw goes in there to hold the insert in the tube. i always thought they were too stiff, and i sold them to howard draper. i also had a set of tein ha coilovers. the tiens were awesome. made the car handle so well, i felt like i could chase porsches. but i had the stock 15" wagonwheels on the car, which i really liked, and the tiens needed a lot more tire that a 15" could deliver. i then got a set of koni's, and at full soft, i thought they were the best. car was a daily driver. bilstein keeps very good records, if someone can be convinced to do some digging, i am sure they can get the specs out of europe. i had a similar encounter with recaro. i wanted adapter brackets so i could bolt in a set of recaros. again, because of the company i worked for, they found what they thought might work, out of europe. but i would have to pay for it in advance, and there was no guarantee it was correct. i eventually found a guy in japan who sent me the recaro adapter brackets from a jdm vr4 which bolted right in. they even had the recaro part number on it. i then tried to organize a group buy, forced performance looked at them, and i would take them out, and let them repro them. i think the price was like 100 bucks each, but no one here was interested, so they are probably still in the car, 153/2000, wherever it now lives. killer seats. i got a set of jdm recaros off ebay that were in an evo. since they came from a rhd car, the left one was in pristine condition. the right one stunk badly with body odor, took me forever to get it clean. i guess rally drivers dont bathe. drew newton was the guy who bought my old car, he used to live in houston.

tektic
(Senior Member)
04/13/17 03:57 PM

Does anyone read French?
click

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
04/17/17 07:37 AM

Google Chrome does. Open it in chrome and let it translate it for you

belize1334
(well bread and nobly conceived)
04/17/17 08:39 AM

Quoting tektic:

Does anyone read French?
click

Awesome find. It might even be worth buying a few sets and hauling them back to the states in my luggage. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any international shipping, even to the UK, let alone to the US...

tektic
(Senior Member)
04/19/17 10:40 AM

I couldn't get everything to translate. It wouldn't accept my zip code for shipping. I guess this was because international wasn't offered? I couldn't tell if they were inserts or full fit struts.

belize1334
(well bread and nobly conceived)
04/24/17 11:19 AM

Definitely inserts. Similar to the 3000gt units but designed for GVR4/DSM.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page