calcaliente
(Junior Member)
01/03/13 01:09 PM
Fortune auto coilovers for VR4

Hey guys I just spoke with fortune auto in Va and they said they would create some Vr4 specific coilovers for the same price as their 500 series. All they need is a pair of stock galant suspension and they will make them. Problem is I have Evo suspension on mine and it would be greatly appreciated if some one could send in an old set or let me borrow them (ill pay for shipping) or just send them straight there. I think this would be great for the community.

Fortune Auto North America Inc.
1555 Standing Ridge Dr
Suite D-1
Powhatan, VA 23139

www.fortune-auto.net
www.mullersuspension.com
Toll Free: 877.227.0260

5OF2k
(Member ++)
01/03/13 02:09 PM
Re: Fortune auto coilovers for VR4

Nice! Might want to doublecheck the second link though, sir. All it is is some chick holding a backpack, smiling cheesily...lol.

I dont have a stock set, at least not a spare one. It would definitely be cool to have another option as far as full-bodied coil-overs go though, definitely. What do you think the odds of a group-buy would be?

-Jake

calcaliente
(Junior Member)
01/03/13 02:38 PM

Um I'll check the link!! But I'll email him and see. But first we got to get some interest going you know? Maybe give them some incentive.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/03/13 04:16 PM

JBAutosports is an authorized FA vendor. I know Terry pretty well...So, is he saying he will male the V4 500 series coilovers for the gvr4?

calcaliente
(Junior Member)
01/03/13 04:50 PM

Yes if we mail him a pair of stock ones he will make the adjustments and have it so we no longer have to weld up Evo struts to make them work. And he will sell them at the same price as the 500 series.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
01/03/13 05:04 PM

hmmm

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
01/03/13 05:45 PM

Hopefully these coil overs are superior to the megan racing, k-sport, and other similar coil overs.

I see that they are already made for the CD9A/CE9A EVO, aren't our suspensions exactly the same minus the spring rates?

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/03/13 05:46 PM

Is FA stuff the same as all the other Korean/Chinese coilovers? Or are they actually worth a damn?

citymunky
(Fake Title)
01/03/13 05:50 PM

I know alot of EVO guys use them.

calcaliente
(Junior Member)
01/03/13 05:58 PM

They are made in MURICA

I was going to buy the other brands but they are all made in Taiwan and china so I was like screw that and gave FA a call.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
01/03/13 06:09 PM

I like how they explain everything: http://www.fortune-auto.com/shocktech.htm

G
(JDM Unit)
01/03/13 06:23 PM

They are assembled in the us but the components are not made in the us.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
01/03/13 07:43 PM

^^^^^ This

and this
Quoting turbowop:

Is FA stuff the same as all the other Korean/Chinese coilovers? Or are they actually worth a damn?

Having a service center and ability to rebuild/modify is a good move in this segment, i'll give them that. But cheap coilovers are still cheap coilovers. BC and K-Sport already offer essentially the same products as FA from what i can tell, but they (FA) obviously has more control over the end product and have a neat twist on it.

Penske, Ohlins, AST and the like don't sell shocks for $500+ each because they feel like selling less of them. If they could offer that kind of quality and performance at half the price, maybe they would, and it'd be game over.

And not to be pessimistic or anything...this could turn out to be the best GVR4 specific coilover option currently on the new parts market. Just saying though.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/03/13 10:48 PM

What FA does is build and valve the dampers and match to spring rates. Is it better than other like Megan etc...Slightly. Customer service is a ton better. Are they comparable to Ohlins - hell no! Now, Terry did tell me the FA510's will compare to the KW V3's just fine.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/03/13 10:50 PM

s2000 guys love them and those owners are picky as can be. I would say if they built a set for the 1200 price. It would be comparable to the Tein HA's maybe...

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
01/04/13 10:57 AM

Defently keep everyone posted on this brand.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/04/13 11:04 AM

Quoting blacksheep:

s2000 guys love them and those owners are picky as can be. I would say if they built a set for the 1200 price. It would be comparable to the Tein HA's maybe...

The biggest thing is spring rates....This will make all the difference between soft and harsh. Before we go have them replicate a set, we should have to identify exactly what spring rate we wouldl like so the damper is valved appropriately.

Another thing about FA - The FA500 at stock height are always about an 1 to 1.25" lower than stock - seen this on Evo, STi and S2000.

The Megans tracks for Evo come with 12k/10k, I believe. GTWork always suggested running 2 diff options on the Evo - either the same rate all around with a larger RSB or a softer swaybar with a higher spring rate in the rear.

I have no idea what mueller is running on the Ohlins and they are asshats who refuse to share. Before someone starts to argue - let me explain - I bought a set of muellerized JIC's used for my Evo. I signed the NDA, had previous owner call and even verify I purchased from them and they still would not tell me. I kept calling and they said they would get back to me. F them!

EMX5636
(Carbon Fiber Cage)
01/05/13 12:19 AM

I might be interested in a set of these. I blew a front K-Sport about a month back, and a buddy of mine likes these FA's on his EVO so I would probably give them a shot instead of rebuilding mine.

boostedinaz
(Fatty McButterpants)
01/05/13 01:26 PM

What are these coilovers going to be used for? That, IMO, would dictate if they are worth a shit or not.

As a low end "street" coilover I'm sure they are just as good as all the other crap currently available. as a track coilover I doubt they are worth it. Just because a group of people buy something doesn't make them "good" or "better" than any other product.

If they are intended for the street it would be nice to have street friendly spring rates and dampening. Really bugs when people have a "street" car that rides like ass because the spring rates are crazy high, but yo it looks siqqq right.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/05/13 02:23 PM

Michael - Agree. 90% of my customers would buy them for looks and some track use (minimal). Track whores would always start with KW V3 pricing. I think for a gvr4, 95% would get it for street or JSB use... The only reason I would go FA is for re-builds vs buddy club, megans, ksport etc. They will generally respond fast and take care of customers. To do the gvr4 with them will take some time and effort...Like I said before spring rate is key. I don't remember what people suggested for the gvr4.

Does anyone remember what the Tein HA rates are or JIC for the 1G? Ours will probably have to be slightly higher given weight of our cars!

ktmrider
(Cool Guy Crowd)
01/05/13 02:24 PM

^^ Amen. When the first question is "How low can they go?" just gotta

G
(JDM Unit)
01/05/13 02:44 PM

Black, jic made a set for the e39a.

boostedinaz
(Fatty McButterpants)
01/05/13 02:48 PM

Quoting blacksheep:

Michael - Agree. 90% of my customers would buy them for looks and some track use (minimal). Track whores would always start with KW V3 pricing. I think for a gvr4, 95% would get it for street or JSB use... The only reason I would go FA is for re-builds vs buddy club, megans, ksport etc. They will generally respond fast and take care of customers. To do the gvr4 with them will take some time and effort...Like I said before spring rate is key. I don't remember what people suggested for the gvr4.

Does anyone remember what the Tein HA rates are or JIC for the 1G? Ours will probably have to be slightly higher given weight of our cars!

If ridden in #3 with Tien HAs and it fits my above description of to harsh for a street driven vehicle. Never ridden in a car with JICs so I got nothing on that front.

I guess it also depends on what type of street driven vehicle you have. 1101 is a daily so a harsh ride just gets old after awhile. If it's a weekend car and only driven on occasion then a stiffer spring rate and the associated harsh ride may not be an issue.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/05/13 02:57 PM

Well, good part with FA is that you can at least order with custom spring rates and they valve to match. So, we can order like 6K rates for dd use and 12K for crazies...

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/05/13 03:37 PM

Quoting boostedinaz:

If ridden in #3 with Tien HAs and it fits my above description of to harsh for a street driven vehicle. Never ridden in a car with JICs so I got nothing on that front.

I can +1 the Tein HAs being too harsh. And I'm going to assume that stock JICs would be the exact same. My Muellerized JICs are nice, but they're revalved and use better spring rates for a street car. And I had to pay more for a used set than I did for a brand new set of HAs.

I will say though, the Teins quality was top notch. Over the 12 years I owned them, I never once had an issue with them blowing or leaking, like so many do with the Taiwan/Korean/Chinese crap.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/05/13 03:40 PM

Wop - Do you know your spring rates?

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/05/13 03:44 PM

I don't, due to Mueller's secret squirrel tactics. But I know they're much softer than the HAs were. I gave Ryan (MX4) all the paperwork and everything that came with the HAs when I sold them to him, so he may be able to find the spring rate numbers for those. I wanna say they were 8k front and 6k rear or something close to that. I can't believe guys use spring rates higher than that on the street considering how harsh the HAs were.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/05/13 03:59 PM

Those fuckin fuck mueller fucks...Same as me, dickbags would not give me spring rates either...And I bought the fucking things fair and square...

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/05/13 05:46 PM

Well I haven't tried to find out what I have either. The guy I bought the JICs from knows Mueller. He only sold me the JICs so that he could upgrade to the new Muellerized Ohlins setup that just came out for 1g DSMs. I suppose I could ask him...

MX4
(Member +++)
01/05/13 07:34 PM

Ill pull out the Tein book later on and see if I can see those spring rates.

EMX5636
(Carbon Fiber Cage)
01/05/13 07:39 PM

I have been using my China junk for about 5 years now. I'm not gonna lie though, they've withstood some abuse. The car has left the road multiple times (not for the dirt/grass) over a couple nice rally style railroad bridges around me. Plus all our back roads SUCK so I can't complain after 15-16K miles of shit that one finally blew. I would just rebuild the fronts of mine, but about 3 years ago they changed their design a bit, and it's not much cheaper to get their "retrofit" kit than to buy a new set. If these last at least as long, and can be rebuilt in this country, I'm game. Plus a bit softer rate/longer travel would be nice for the street.

Mark- I'm kicking myself for not buying your HA's.

MX4
(Member +++)
01/05/13 07:59 PM

Don't worry, they're on good hands

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/05/13 09:27 PM

I got ahold of the guy that sold me the JICs. He says the springrates are 8k front, 7k rear. Or 450lbs/393lbs. I don't think that's far off of what the spring rates were for the Teins, but the valving is much softer making for a better ride on the street.

MX4
(Member +++)
01/05/13 11:24 PM

Legoman reckons its 8kg front and 6kg rear (but he has been wrong before)

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/05/13 11:59 PM

Quoting turbowop:

I got ahold of the guy that sold me the JICs. He says the springrates are 8k front, 7k rear. Or 450lbs/393lbs. I don't think that's far off of what the spring rates were for the Teins, but the valving is much softer making for a better ride on the street.

Yep, I rode in an Evo once with 14k/16k and this thing rode like silky smooth buttah - firm, yet smooth. No pitching or pogo-ing. Huge bumps, you knew it was stiff. But, normal roads, just smoother. Why? Custom built Motons. That's why! Shit was valved to handle the spring rates. I was soooo jelly!

minneSNOWta
(Member +)
01/06/13 08:03 PM

Here is another option. I talked with a JIC rep a few months ago. Apparently, can't type either.

Quote:

We do not import E39A coil kit. But we can custom made for you from end of this year. we are going to production all coil over kit in USA now. we do not make kit in Japan any more and import. if you give us your stock suspension information. we can make it. or if you give us used front and rear damper we can make it. we need front and rear upper mount bolt size, pattern information and lower bracket information front and rear.we do not have enough information of E39A.

Old Generation which is made in Japan JIC Magic FLT TAR/A2 are discontinued. We will have new generation kit which will make in USA. if you can help get data I can give extra discount for your car. you don't need send item in USA/ I want to you send me pictures front and rear suspension and I will ask measuring. that I need it. I know rear upper and lower bracket is same with other Mitsubishi car.let me know if you can. I attached sample design PDF for CT9A and CZ4A. New product name is JIC Suspension ZMS series. Not more TAR, CC2 kit

All new generation are 100% new technology. We can service and supply any parts in house and supply and tuning and rebuild.

Mono tube damper come with 48m piston, inverted mono tube come with 42mm piston.

ZMS-S 1way (30 adjustable) single mono tube damper $1400~$2400- not for Porsche

ZMS-RS 2way (30X30 adjustable) compression and rebound adjustable single mono tube $2400~$3600-

ZMS-RS3 3way (30x15x15) rebound, low & high speed compression mono tube with external reservoir $4500~$6000

ZMS-RS4 4way (30x30x15x15) low & high speed rebound and low and high speed compression. Mono tube with external reservoir $4500~6000

We don't have data f Ganat E39A suspension. make new production we need measure stock suspension. we don't have plan for E39A right now. expect we get car suspension data.

Thanks

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
01/06/13 09:29 PM

Is it strange to me that they can't pull the dimensions from JIC/Japan? I would think since it's the same company they could. Even if they state they're not going to be importing to the US anymore, I would think they could at least get the measurements.

MX4
(Member +++)
01/07/13 12:25 AM

Will probably end up being some more Chinese d2/ksport crap marketed under the JIC name.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/07/13 10:43 AM

^^^ yeah, the new industry term is "private label"

calcaliente
(Junior Member)
01/10/13 10:10 PM

So no takers on this one?

5OF2k
(Member ++)
01/10/13 10:22 PM

Like i said, if i had a spare set, id gladly send them in. Someone hook me up with an Evo 8/9 setup in the meantime so i can donate mine to this cause...

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/11/13 01:49 PM

Gat - here is an option - Go to napa, autozone, buy the whole setup, keep reciepts. Ship to FA. They send it back, you return it and say you never used it and they all new in box!

Else start a WTB thread - someone here who has coilovers can maybe help with their spare...

Larry Parker
(Rally Member)
02/10/13 10:04 AM

Curves look nice, but they are only showing plots to 9 in/sec? My curves always went to almost a meter / sec, but we dynoed on a MTS servo hydraulic that could muster up mad force! I do like the digressiveness of the parts, but
this is hard to achieve with a needle and seat adjustment mechanism and I would love to see an independent dyno plot.

LP

G
(JDM Unit)
02/10/13 01:45 PM

What he said.

birdman24
(Member)
09/26/13 01:05 PM

Has anyone gone through with this? Having another option other than BC racing and DGR would be nice. Ive only heard good things about the BC's for our cars but nothing about DGR.

Terence

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
09/30/13 11:24 AM

Quoting turbowop:

Well I haven't tried to find out what I have either. The guy I bought the JICs from knows Mueller. He only sold me the JICs so that he could upgrade to the new Muellerized Ohlins setup that just came out for 1g DSMs. I suppose I could ask him...

Did you buy Clint's old setup?
I rode in his car when he had the JIC's in it. Amazing all dialed in by Mueller.
I also had a Muellerized 2g with JIC's, best handling car I had ever owned the way Mueller had it all dialed in.

A lot of people hate Mueller for not disclosing his "secrets". I don't see the benefit for him in disclosing such information. His price rates are higher than most but its for a reason. His cars won many races and they still do today. If he disclosed all his secrets,most people would just stop going to him and go with someone else that can do the same cheaper.

I've met him before and he is a very good guy, and a former GVR-4 owner.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/30/13 06:02 PM

Yup, I bought Clint's old setup. I love it.

omertaitalia
(Member +)
10/01/13 11:48 AM

you know what the ohlins setup is running for the 1g? i was gonna have him dial in my jic coil overs on my 350z but ended up selling it instead.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/01/13 11:50 AM

It's like $3,300 from Mueller, plus assembly and top hats

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
10/04/13 12:36 AM

For the curious who aren't up on the 'google' as it were... click

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page