**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 07:59 AM
Bolting up an EVO 8 suspension...Need advice

For the life of me I can't find that thread that compared the EVO shocks and struts to the Galant's. Anyway, a friend of mine gave me his EVO 8 RS Shocks and Struts w/ Eibach springs and OEM springs. That same friend can make the rear mounts that I would need to bolt everything up. He's actually pretty pumped to see if this is going to work and how it will look. My questions for the guys that have messed with EVO suspensions in the past is:

• Will this work even with the right mounts made?
  • How low will this set up be?
  • Other than rear mounts is there anything else that needs to be done? I remember reading something about the fronts as well.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! I've been searching for these answers all morning..I guess I'm just not putting in the right search perimeters. Again, Thanks for any help.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 08:18 AM
Re: Bolting up an EVO 8 suspension...Need advice

Search for "EVO 8" with the username "kartorium".

Here is a start!

See below

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 08:19 AM

Oh F it. The link is too long to add. Just search for what I said and it should come up.

steveGalant VR4.org Administrator
(Key Fob Guy)
01/05/05 08:38 AM

here is the link, just clicky

I think it doesn't like the " marks in the URL.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 08:41 AM

Thank you Steve. I'm feeling a little retarded this morning. The puppy decided to wake up about 2 hours early

Scott Y
(mighty skunk hunter)
01/05/05 11:09 AM

So then, is this an accurate summary regarding EVO VIII suspension?
I've searched and searched, am tired of searching, and want to clear up conflicting information:

Front: stock EVO VIII struts/shocks are a bolt-on affair, no mods required. I've seen plenty of conflicting info regarding this.

Rear: springs fit, struts require modified mount

ride: much stiffer than GVR4.

height: close to the stock GVR4 ride height, less than 1" drop if any.

cost: springs are anywhere from $25 to $150. struts are $??.

If I can get this all sorted out, I'll be doing the EVO VIII suspension on my GVR4, currrently stock suspension with 150K on it.

-Scott Y

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 11:45 AM

Scott if a rear mount adapter can be made I will make one for you free of charge. See if you can get ahold of some shocks to go with your springs.

Scott Y
(mighty skunk hunter)
01/05/05 12:26 PM

You're on!
I'll keep you posted.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/05/05 01:17 PM

First of all, The full evo 8 fronts (springs and struts) are awesome on the galant. They are much much better than my GC and AGX combo in both handling and ride quality. They were better at the stock ride level and even tighter after cutting the springs. These struts in my mind blow away the AGX's. I'll have some other people ride in my car this weekend for a second opinion.

I think I posted pictures somewhere. The rears might be able to work if you weld in a bushing between the "fork" style mount on the rear struts. That way it would slide onto the stock post mount deal.

I wrote all of this information in my post, but here's a summary....

-front springs and struts will make car sit stock height or higher, cutting or lowering springs are required to get a tolerable fender gap. Ride is much much better and is stiff too. Stiffer than my GC and AGX's.

-Front struts require a spacer to bolt up, and you have to build some sort of bracket to mount the brake line to. Then I just ziptied the abs line to the strut. The evo 8 brake line mounts are way low and wont' work.

-front upper evo 8 strut mounts will not work, use GVR4 mounts.

-A very stiff rear setup is required to get balanced handling with all evo fronts. With evo 8 fronts and GC and AGX's in the rear my car understeers on throttle a lot. I also have 22mil sways front and rear.

Somebody local wants my cut front springs. but I still have the rear evo struts, and the front evo struts with a crude spacer. If you want the whole set I'll sell the front struts and rears for 175$ or so.(not including springs, already taken)

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 01:31 PM

What kind of spacer are we talking about? I'll be happy to machine some "not crude" spacers for you guys since it looks like a lot of you are interested in installing this stuff.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/05/05 01:35 PM

Here's what I did:
Took a sawzall to a stock strut I had laying around and cut off both the lower mounting tabs or whatever you wanna call em. Came out with two peices of metal with the right holes already in them and in the right shape. Then I just took the grinder to em and smoothed em out and thinned em up just a tad. So the spacer needs to be a tad bit thinner than the stock strut mount tabs. I don't think I explained that too well, but hope ya get the picture.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 01:39 PM

Ya but not everyone probably has the stock ones to cut up. Can you get me a picture? It sounds like something I can make quick and easy but I want to make sure I'm thinking of it right.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/05/05 01:45 PM

I'll work on it, I'll try to take some measurements too or draw a picture or somethin.

HertzGalant VR4.org Administrator
(OneTitle to rule them all.)
01/05/05 05:52 PM

I'm interested -- I've got a set of Evo8 springs waiting patiently in the garage.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/05/05 05:54 PM

This thread would be allot better with pictures guys. Just a thought.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/05/05 06:06 PM

My previous thread has pictures, i believe its linked above.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/14/05 12:04 PM

Scott got all the evo8 bits so I'll finally get to take a crack at them this weekend. Hopefully good news to follow. I'm trying to make a bolt on solution for the entire setup but we'll see if I'm successful.

Scott Y
(mighty skunk hunter)
01/16/05 10:14 AM

Chris is going to make this a simple bolt-on affair folks!
Here's some teaser pics, to clear up the fog surrounding ride height with EVO bits. Stay tuned for a full post on the project.
Note: the car was sitting on a slightly inclined driveway.

The highly calibrated measuring tool:

Fender gap with stock setup:

Fender gap with stock EVO setup:

Camber with stock EVO setup:

Clearly the EVO front springs need to be cut - we're figuring out how much to cut off and then bolting it all up again. I want stock or just slightly lower than stock height when it's all done.

-We'll keep the list posted,
Scott Y, dreaming of EVO

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/16/05 11:25 AM

Thanks Scott The front is not quite a bolt on affair but I think it can be made that way with a little work. Once I get the first prototype bits made then we'll work on the rear. I hope that can be a bolt on solution as well but worse case it will be an "exchange" with a little welding involved.

BTW I need a good spring compressor. Can anyone recommend something? The cheapie one we were using bit the big one to say the least.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/16/05 12:02 PM

You guys, cut the spring down to about a 9" free hieght + or - half an inch depending on how low you want it. That should be a good starting point.

Chris, I always just rent a compressor from shucks. Its like 8 bucks or somethin.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/16/05 12:14 PM

Quote:

You guys, cut the spring down to about a 9" free hieght + or - half an inch depending on how low you want it. That should be a good starting point.

Chris, I always just rent a compressor from shucks. Its like 8 bucks or somethin.

Karter, Does 9" free height put it at stock height? We rented a compressor from Checker but it was a hunk of junk. I would like to buy a nice one so I have one anyway.

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
01/16/05 01:00 PM

No, not stock hieght at a 9" free length. It lowered the car from wehre you sit right now at least 2 inches I think. The fender gap was reduced to somewhere between 1-2" IIRC. I was retarded and didn't take any pics of it

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/16/05 01:37 PM

Okay. We're going to inch it down then. More of a PITA but I want to get an idea of where different free lengths set the car.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/16/05 03:03 PM

Pivvay when this is done I'll gladly pay you for a set along with the ICS elliminator plate, might as well get it all at once. I've had a full evo suspension setup with just 100 miles just sitting in my garage for about 5 months and I really need to do something with them. BTW for anyone who's thinking of cutting off the botom mount and welding on the correct one, I started this and it didn't work out too well. Ruined one of my struts so word to the wise.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/16/05 03:15 PM

How did you weld? I've got some good advise for welding struts off some other people if it comes to that. However I hope it doesn't.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/19/05 05:22 PM

So say we come up with some kind of braket or something for the rear evo * strut then we should be able to use evo 8 teins or any other evo 8 suspension right. What if you drill the hole in the U of the strut big enough to fit the stock vr4 lower strut mount then used some kind of bushing

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/19/05 08:58 PM

The Evo8 rear springs are a bolt on affair. They're shorter than the factory spring but much stiffer & does lower the car. The Evo8 front springs must be cut to at least 9" free length for starters. Install them & determine if the ride height suits your needs. After this point, trim extremely minimally to get the required ride height. I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than 8.5" free length. You will run into the problem of re-aligning all 4 springs whenever you put the car on a lift. It will be extremely stiff, but your roadhog side will be happy. Lots of pictures included in previous post below.

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=89748&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=95278&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=153127&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/20/05 09:13 AM

What I want is a full coilover kit not springs but everything for the vr4 is either realy pricey or no one can get them any more . I am looking for somthing like the tein ha's or the jic magic fla2.

JB
(Other)
01/20/05 09:37 AM

you say everything is really pricey, but the HA's and the JIC you want are some of the most expensive stuff for our cars...

why not get the Tein SS's from Alex? ive yet to read a complaint from someone that has them...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/20/05 02:17 PM

Because I want sepret ride height adjustment with the ss you have rive height and spring tension adjusted from one point and I cant find anyone who sells the ha's anyway. Thats why I want anothere option I can get omni power coilovers for an evo for $700. Where ags's and ground control coilover with camber plates are almost that much.

teet
(Senior Teeter)
03/29/05 11:25 AM

any updates on getting rear evo struts to mount on a GVR4?

I got a set of DMS 40mm coilovers sitting here and i'm debating what to do with them...sell them...or put them on...humm...

john

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
03/29/05 02:18 PM

Quote:

any updates on getting rear evo struts to mount on a GVR4?

I got a set of DMS 40mm coilovers sitting here and i'm debating what to do with them...sell them...or put them on...humm...

john

I've got a guy who welded the galant bottom loop on to the evo struts and it worked fine. Probably a tig only job with lots of stops and rags to keep the strut cool. I"m still working on a bolt on solution but I don't have a ton of extra time so it's slow going.

teet
(Senior Teeter)
03/29/05 02:50 PM

how much did he charge to do it? Why couldn't you just do it with MIG in the same way...make a puddle and stop. cool...make a puddle...stop...etc...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
03/29/05 02:53 PM

Quote:

how much did he charge to do it? Why couldn't you just do it with MIG in the same way...make a puddle and stop. cool...make a puddle...stop...etc...

Don't know how much $$$. I would rather TIG it so you can keep the heat as localized as possible and as little as possible but if you're really good with a MIG you might be able to do it. Gotta keep it cool as much as you can is really the only key.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
03/29/05 04:17 PM

Check the for sales for the Hotbits. Under $1k for a full coilover setup.

twkd

teet
(Senior Teeter)
03/29/05 08:38 PM

I can butt weld 24 guage with my mig...spose i've got a pretty good feel at heat control I'll probably take a crack at it.

john

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
03/30/05 11:41 AM

I got the bottom of the stock Galant shock welded into the fork in the Evo shock.
The shop had to weld it a little bit at a time, and keep the shock body covered in wet rags.
It cost about $150.

teet
(Senior Teeter)
03/30/05 11:50 AM

thats what I was thinking of doing...and should be "easy" for me to do.

thanks
John

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/28/05 03:13 PM

with stock evo springs on gvr4 struts, hows the camber, can the car be aligned properly without getting camber bolts ?

steveGalant VR4.org Administrator
(Key Fob Guy)
04/28/05 03:52 PM

We have a great how-to.

here

4Grim
(I deliver.)
01/13/07 09:58 AM

There is great info for those planning on using the EVO suspension on the GVR4's with these threads. I do have a question though that I haven't seen brought up regarding GVR4 specific coilovers (IE: Ground Controls) with the OEM EVO struts and shocks?

Will the GVR4 specific coilovers be able to slide over the EVO strut and shock body's? I am sure the struts/shocks heights are similar but how about the actual strut/shock body's? I am asking because I am contiplating the idea of using the EVO suspension, but would like to use my Ground Controls instead of the EVO springs.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/30/07 06:42 PM

Quote:

How did you weld? I've got some good advise for welding struts off some other people if it comes to that. However I hope it doesn't.

I made the conversion. and when you weld in the bushings. get a wet towel and make short stich welds. cooling down the weld and the strut with the rag in between.

the front springs i cut one coil. starting from the top of the spring. it all worked quite well. but i had problems with camber afterwards.

464/2K
(<3s Rance and self distrusts)
01/07/08 03:14 PM

black car has AGX/H&R setup, green has MR bilsteins/Tein H-tech springs.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
02/16/08 10:17 PM

Quote:

What I want is a full coilover kit not springs but everything for the vr4 is either realy pricey or no one can get them any more . I am looking for somthing like the tein ha's or the jic magic fla2.

VR4 full coil over kits are VERY expensive. Why don't you just get a second hand set of TEIN coilovers for Evo 1 - 3 then modify the bottom bush to fit? Easy.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page